Feminism today has a bad reputation and there is no denying that. Recently Emma Watson’s United Nations speech got a lot of good press due to her including men into this issue, stating “for the record, feminism by definition is: The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes” and she later went on to say “if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important. It’s the idea and the ambition behind it.”
We believe feminism stands for gender equality; for men and women to be equal in every sense of the word. We believe men need to apart of this conversation, just as much as woman and believe the only way forward is with a united front
The other day I was asked “why are you a ‘feminist’? and here are some answers.
- Because people are still asking that question.
- Women are still paid 17% less than men in the same professions.
- In the last month almost 300 Nigerian girls were abducted because “education for women is evil”.
- A male is in charge of Women’s Rights in Australian Government.
- There are people who still believe that if a woman was wearing revealing clothes and was promiscuous before she was raped, she was asking for it or shouldn’t have made herself an easy target.
- Because some of you would have just said to yourself ‘well she probably shouldn’t have made herself an easy target’… instead of asking why someone would rape another person.
- Being called a ‘girl’, ‘pussy’ or ‘bitch’ has become an insult.
- Chris Brown can still have a career after assaulting Rihanna, but Miley Cyrus gets more flak and hatred for what she chooses to wear on stage.
- Currently there are approximately ten million more girls out of education than boys.
- Unfortunately people still believe feminists hate all men and don’t shave their underarms.
- If you type ‘women shouldn’t’ in Google, the word vote pops up under it. AND if you type ‘Feminist’ in Google, ‘are stupid, are annoying and are sexist’ pops up under it.
- Domestic Violence increases when a woman becomes pregnant.
- 98% of Domestic Violence is a male against a female.
- The youngest girl to ever be married was 8 years old.
- There are 37 women represented in Australian Parliament compared to 113 men.
- The amount of times I get my arse slapped when I’m out at a club should be 0, but isn’t.
- And because most of you probably just thought that was an arrogant and self-indulgent fact, rather than a basic human right.
- In 88% of porn, men show aggression and violence towards women.
- If there are thousands and thousands of people saying we need equality, how can we think there already is equality?
- I shouldn’t have to explain why I am a feminist and that a feminist is not all that I am.
These are only a tiny percentage of the reasons why ‘feminism’ is still needed, and moving forward we need a united front. Gender equality is an issue that involves both men and women. Sometimes people get stuck with the label of ‘feminist’ or ‘feminism’ which is understandable, however I struggle to understand who wouldn’t want to fight for gender equality, after all it affects all of us.
The information above was derived from a number of different sources: